Women's Writing Festival 2020-2021
We are looking for submissions of ONE ACT PLAYS that run STRICTLY
between 10-20 minutes in length. We have many submissions and we'd like to include as many as we can, without sacrificing the quality of pieces. *Please limit your submissions to ONE of your best plays, taking into account our guidelines.
- Pieces must be ORIGINAL but can be previously produced.
- We are looking to showcase works from women writers only. All plays must fit one or more of the criteria below:
- The piece features a strong female lead
- The piece features a predominately female cast OR
- The piece addresses a topic important to women that is rarely touched.
- Please limit characters from 1-5 per submission (MAX)
*We feel that this criteria would provide opportunities for female performers to step into powerful roles and would be keeping with the overall goals of the festival.
- Writers can be involved in the process but are encouraged not to direct their own pieces as we are trying to promote collaboration within our theatre community.
Submission Deadline: SUBMISSIONS ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED.
We will be holding auditions for a cast of about 10-15 performers and we will be bringing on board 5-8 female directors to work in collaboration with our writers for this project. We have far surpassed our initial submission goals of 20-40+ submissions. Our guidelines will be strictly followed in submission of works. All submissions will be read and selected by a committee chosen by SPARK Creative Works compromised of local female theatre professionals. Writers in the Long Island/NYC area will be considered first, though we are accepting out-of-state submissions. We look forward to reading your submissions!
Please send all submissions to: email@example.com
*with subject line: WOMENS WRITING FESTIVAL SUBMISSIONS
Produced by SPARK Creative Works
This project is made possible with funds from the Decentralization Program, a re-grant program of the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, and administered by The Huntington Arts Council.